For many people with sleep apnea, a CPAP machine is a lifesaver. Many people may not realize that these machines need to be cleaned regularly to ensure that they’re working correctly and that you, the user, don’t get sick. At Copper Star Home Medical, we have a range of products to make CPAP cleaning a breeze!
Why Should I Clean My CPAP Machine?
The CPAP machine delivers a constant stream of pressurized air into your lungs, allowing you to breathe easier in your sleep by keeping your airway open. When you inhale, dust, mold, and other allergens in the air may be sucked through the hose and into your lungs. When you exhale, germs and bacteria from your mouth, throat, and lungs can travel through the hose and into the machine. You may also transfer germs and bacteria from your face through the face mask and into the tubes.
This back-and-forth transfer can cause allergic reactions or other illnesses, making it harder for those with breathing problems.
How Often Should I Clean My CPAP Machine?
Each part of your CPAP has a different cleaning schedule. While you should always take care of urgent cleaning needs immediately, here’s a general plan to clean your machine.
- Wipe down the mask cushion gently by hand
- Humidifier water tub, rinse out, and hand dry
- Check mask cushion and pillows for wear and tear
- Check the humidifier tub for worn spots and deterioration, cracks, and pits
Every three months
- Check air tubing for small holes and tears. These are found most often around the cuff. Replace damaged tubes
- Check the filter at the back for dust build-up. Filters should be replaced about every six months.
- Check the mask headgear and chinstraps. If they have lost elasticity, they may need to be replaced to ensure the correct fit.
- Inspect the water tub and clean any powder deposits.
Every two years, have your CPAP, bilevel sleep machine, or APAP pressure checked by a qualified provider to ensure that you’re still getting the correct pressure.
The Best CPAP Cleaning Products
We have the best CPAP cleaning products to make sure yours does its job! The Lumin CPAP Sanitizer uses advanced UV light technology to clean effortlessly and sanitizes your machine and its parts. Pressing a button makes it much easier and safer than cleaning with soap and water. If you prefer to wash your CPAP parts by hand, the SoClean Neutralizing Pre-Wash is perfect for treating all aspects safely before hand washing. Or try the SoClean CPAP wipes to clean your mask and headgear in the mornings quickly. When it’s time to replace a worn-out mask or damaged hoses, we also have a great selection of those.
Get Yours Today!
Breathe easy with a clean, sterile CPAP today! Give us a call or visit us online to browse our CPAP cleaning products and accessories selections. Our friendly client care team is on hand to help you with any questions.